A. National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA)
What is the NCAA?
The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) is a voluntary organization through which American colleges and universities govern their athletics programs. It comprises more than 1,250 institutions, conferences, organizations and individuals.
What do I need to do to compete in the NCAA?
In order to compete in the NCAA you mst graduate from high school, write the SAT or ACT, register with the NCAA Clearinghouse, meet NCAA academic standards, remain academically and athletically eligible to compete and be admitted to an NCAA institution.
How many universities offer hockey programs?
There are approximately 58 Division I, 4 Division II, and 74 Division III hockey programs.

B. Division I, II and III
What is Division I?
Division I is the highest level of athletic competition in the NCAA. Athletic programs at Division I universities can offer financial aid or scholarships based solely on athletic ability.
What is Division II?
Division II universities compete in athletics at the Division III level but, unlike Division III institutions, they are permitted to offer financial aid or scholarships based solely on athletic ability.

What is Division III?
Division III universities focus much more on the academic experience than on the athletic experience of the student-athlete. As such Division III universities prohibit financial aid or scholarships based on athletic ability only. Furthermore, rules and regulations governing competition in Division III athletics are less stringent then those that govern competition in Division I.

C. NCAA Initial Eligibility Clearinghouse
What is the NCAA Clearinghouse?

The NCAA Clearinghouse is an agency which performs amateurism certification and determines the NCAA academic eligibility of all student-athletes wishing to compete in NCAA Division I or II athletics
(Note: Division III institutions individually determine the eligibility of their incoming student-athletes.)
The clearinghouse evaluates student courses, grades and test scores to determine whether students meet prescribed minimum academic requirements and will provide the student’s initial-eligibility certification results to all universities that request this information. Any prospective student-athlete who will enroll in college and compete in NCAA Division I or Division II athletics must register with the Clearinghouse. Initial-eligibility certification from the clearinghouse does not guarantee your admission to any Division I or II college. You must apply for college admission separately. The clearinghouse only determines whether you meet NCAA requirements as a freshman student-athlete in a Division I or II college to be able to compete, practice and receive an athletics scholarship.

What is Amateurism Certification?
Amateurism certification is a process to determine the amateur status of freshman and transfer student-athletes initially enrolling at NCAA Divisions I and II member institutions. Prospects will complete an amateurism section when they register with the NCAA Initial-Eligibility Clearinghouse.
Amateurism certification will consider a student-athlete’s:

  • Contracts with a professional team (Division I).
  • Salary for participating in athletics (Division I).
  • Prize money above actual and necessary expenses (Division I).
  • Play with professionals (Division I).
  • Tryouts, practice or competition with a professional team (Division I).
  • Benefits from an agent or prospective agent (Divisions I and II).
  • Agreement to be represented by an agent (Divisions I and II).
  • Organized-competition rule (Divisions I and II)

When should I register for the Clearinghouse?
If you wish to compete in the NCAA in the future you should register with the NCAA Clearinghouse after completion of grade 11, or as soon as possible thereafter, even if you have not received an offer to attend an NCAA university.

How do I register for the Clearinghouse?
1. Go to http://www.ncaaclearinghouse.net
2. Click on “Prospective Student-Athletes”
3. Click on “Registration Form for Foreign Students” found in the left-hand pane
4. Complete the form
5. Send required documents
6. Registration Form for Foreign Students
7. Registration fee
8. High school transcripts
9. Proof of high school graduation (most likely stated on transcripts)
10. ACT or SAT score report sent directly to the clearinghouse

How do I send a score report to institutions that request one?
To have SAT, SAT II or ACT score sent directly to the Clearinghouse:
a. Enter code 9999 on the registration form or answer document to have scores sent directly to the NCAA


b. Contact the test administrator to request a score report be sent to the NCAA

How do I contact the NCAA Clearinghouse?
Go to www.ncaaclearinghouse.net for contact information.

D. Athletic Scholarships
What are athletic scholarships?
Athletic scholarships are 1-year contracts officially called “National Letters of Intent.” These contracts are between the university and the student-athlete and are awarded based on some degree on athletic ability.
What is a “National Letter of Intent”?
National Letter of Intent (NLI) is the official term for an “athletic scholarship” and is a binding agreement between a student-athlete and an institution in which the institution agrees to provide athletics aid for one academic year in exchange for the prospect’s agreement to attend the institution for one academic year. All colleges and universities that participate in the NLI program agree to not recruit a prospective student-athlete once he/she signs an NLI with another college or university. Therefore, a prospective student-athlete who signs an NLI should no longer receive recruiting contacts and calls and is ensured an athletics scholarship for one academic year. The NLI must be accompanied by an institutional financial aid agreement. If the student-athlete does not enroll at that institution for a full academic year, he/she may be subject to specific penalties, including loss of a season of eligibility and a mandatory residence requirement.

What is covered by an athletic scholarship?
Funds for tuition, books, room and board, and sometimes other expenses (i.e. travel to and from university from home).

Are scholarships guaranteed for 4-years?
There are no guaranteed 4-year athletic scholarships. All athletic scholarships are renewed on a year-by-year basis. However, it is common for university athletic programs to make longer-term verbal commitments of 4 years. However, it is important to note that verbal commitments are not legally binding.

Who decides if I get a scholarship?
Although admissions offices can refuse the admission of any student thereby refusing any athletic scholarship, university athletic programs have considerable influence with the admission office. This allows coaches to scout and recruit players and offer scholarships to those who they want for their programs.
Does every student-athlete receive a 100% “full-scholarship”?
Typically, university hockey teams carry 22-26 players and have 18 “full-scholarships” to distribute at they see fit. Usually, of these 18 athletic scholarships some are divided into partial athletic scholarships and some remain full athletic scholarships. Most teams have some student-athletes who receive only a portion of their expenses in scholarship and some athletes who receive all their expenses in scholarship.
Can athletic scholarships be cancelled if I play bad or the coach doesn’t like me?
If you are receiving an athletic scholarship, the scholarship may be reduced or canceled during the
academic year only if you:

  • render yourself ineligible for NCAA competition; or
  • misrepresented any information on your application, letter of intent or financial aid agreement;


  • commit serious misconduct which warrants a substantial disciplinary penalty; or
  • voluntarily quit the team for personal reasons.
  • Athletic scholarships may not be reduced, canceled or increased during the period of award:
  • based on your ability, performance, or contribution to your team’s success; or
  • because an injury prevents you from participating; or
  • for any other athletics reason.

Can I keep my scholarship if I am not playing on the team?
Because athletic scholarships are awarded for athletic participation, if you either quit the team or are released based on the grounds listed above you will lose your athletic scholarship.
How is an athletic scholarship renewed?
The decision to renew a scholarship is made on a year-by-year or term-by-term basis, depending on the regulations of the institution. If you are receiving an athletic scholarship, the institution must notify you in writing on or before July 1 whether the aid has been renewed or not renewed for the next academic year. This written notification comes from the institution’s financial aid authority and not from the athletics department. If the institution decides not to renew your athletic scholarship, or is going to reduce the amount of the scholarship, the institution must notify you in writing that you have the right to a hearing.

What universities offer athletic scholarships?
Athletes can receive athletic scholarships to Division I and II universities only. However, there are a number of universities within Division I that offer financial aid rather than athletic scholarships.

E. Financial Aid
What is financial aid?
Financial aid is a grant from the university that is not based on athletic ability or participation on a college or university team.
What is covered by financial aid?
Financial aid can be granted for tuition and fees, room and board, books and transportation.

How do universities determine “financial need” when that is the main criteria for receiving financial aid?
Although determining “financial need” varies between universities, it is typically calculated based on the student’s savings and expected earnings over the summer, as well as the parents’ overall wealth (earnings, savings, equity, investments etc). The university makes a judgment on the amount that the student and parents are able to contribute towards a university education. Any shortfall between expected contribution and university expenses (tuition, room and board, books, and transportation) is covered by financial aid.

Can I keep my financial aid if I am not playing on the team?
Because non-athletic financial aid is not premised on athletic ability you will continue to receive financial aid if you are not on the hockey team. However, if you are released from the team for disciplinary reasons or for failing to meet academic standards the school may rescind future financial aid.

What universities offer financial aid?
Financial aid is offered at a variety of universities. Most Division III universities offer financial aid, as do many universities in Division I such as those in the Ivy League.

A. Academic Eligibility
How many years of academic eligibility do I have to compete in NCAA athletics?
In general, student-athletes have 10 semesters (5 years) to complete the academic requirements of a university degree while playing NCAA athletics. If at any point you enroll full-time at a post-secondary institutation in Canada or the US your “academic clock” (i.e. 5 years) begins to count down and can never be stopped. Therefore, once you enroll full-time you have 5 years of academic eligibility in which to complete 4 years of athletic eligiblity.

What is needed to determine academic eligibility?
In order to compete in the NCAA student-athletes must graduate from high school and write a standardized test such as the SAT or ACT. For Division I and II students must then register with the NCAA Clearinghouse and be “cleared”, both academically and athletically to compete in university athletics.
How does the NCAA determine overall academic eligibility?
NCCA minimum academic standards are determined based on the following sliding scale. Note that the high school average corresponding to a specific GPA and SAT will vary slightly from province to province.

High School
Average     GPA        SAT     ACT
> 75%            3.55         400     37
~75%             3.55         400     37
3.00         620     52
2.75          720     59
2.50         820     68
2.25         920      77
~50%            2.00         1010    86

B. High School
What courses are required by Canadians to be academically eligible for the NCAA?
For students graduating from Alberta high schools the following requirements apply:

For students entering the NCAA in 2005-2007
(14 Core Courses)
4 years of English.
2 years of mathematics
2 years of natural/physical
1 year of additional English,
mathematics or
natural/physical science.
2 years of social science.
3 years of additional courses
(from any area above, foreign
language or nondoctrinal

For students entering the NCAA in 2008 and later
(16 Core Courses)
4 years of English.
3 years of mathematics
2 years of natural/physical
1 year of additional English,
mathematics or natural/physical
2 years of social science.
4 years of additional courses
(from any area above, foreign
language or nondoctrinal

Below is a list of the eligible courses to satisfy the core course requirements outlined above:
English Social Science
English 10 S3 Social Studies 10 S3
English 10-1 S3 Social Studies 13 S2
English 10-2 S2 Social Studies 20 S3
English 13 S2 Social Studies 23 S2
English 20 S3 Social Studies 30 S3
English 20-1 S3 Social Studies 33 S2
English 20-2 S2 Social Studies 9 (0.75 CU MAX)
English 23 S2
English 30 S3
English 30-1 S3
English 30-2 S2
English 33 S2
Language Arts 9
Mathematics Natural/Physical Science
Applied Math 10 S3 Biology 20 S3
Applied Math 20 S3 Biology 30 S3
Applied Math 30 S3 Chemistry 20 S3
Math 9 (0.75 CU MAX) Chemistry 30 S3
Mathematics 31 Marine Biology 35
Mathematics 35 Physics 20 S3
Pure Mathematics 10 S3 Physics 30 S3
Pure Mathematics 20 S3 Science 10 S3
Pure Mathematics 30 S3 Science 20 S3
Science 30 S3
Science 9 (0.75 CU MAX)
Additional Core Courses Additional Core Courses (con’t)
French 10 Japanese 10
French 20 Japanese 20
French 30 Japanese 30
French Lang. Arts 10 Spanish Lang. & Culture 10
French Lang. Arts 20 Spanish Lang. & Culture 20
French Lang. Arts 30 Spanish Lang. & Culture 30
French Lang. Arts 9 (0.75 MAX) Spanish Lang. Arts 9 (0.75 MAX)
German Lang. & Culture 10
German Lang. & Culture 20
German Lang. & Culture 30
IMPORTANT NOTE: Computer science courses cannot be used to fulfill core course requirements for
student-athletes first entering a collegiate institution on or after August 1, 2005.
For students graduating from other provinces visit http://www.ncaaclearinghouse.net/ for a list of required
core courses.
What high school average is required to be academically eligible for NCAA?
A Canadian student-athlete will be considered to have satisfied the high school average requirements based
on the following criteria for each province.
Alberta – the student has obtained an Alberta High School Diploma with an average of at least 50%
(equivalent to U.S. 2.000) or higher in all core-course areas.
British Columbia – the student has obtained one of the following with an average of at least 50%
(equivalent to U.S. 2.000) or higher in all core-course areas.
Manitoba – the student presents a transcript indicating graduation from grade 12 with an average of at
least 56% (equivalent to U.S. 2.000) or higher in all core-course areas.
Saskatchewan – the student has received a Record of High School Standing-Grade 12 issued by the Saskatchewan Department of Education with an average of at least 60% (equivalent to U.S. 2.000) or higher in all core-course areas.
Do upgraded courses count in determining NCAA academic eligibility?
Yes. Upgraded courses taken by Canadian students in their home school systems can be used to determine NCAA eligibility.

C. SAT I: Reasoning Test
What is the SAT?
The SAT is a three-hour test that measures mathematical, critical reading and writing skills. Many colleges and universities use the SAT as one indicator of a student’s readiness to perform college-level work. SAT scores are compared with the scores of other applicants and the accepted scores at an institution. For more online sample questions and preparation materials, visit http://www.collegboard.com.

Note: It is important to note that once you enroll “full-time” in college or university you can no longer write the SAT.
What subjects does the SAT cover?
There are three sections on the current version of the SAT.

  1. Writing Section: Multiple choice questions and a written essay
  2. Critical Reading: Both short and long reading passages
  3. Math: Expanded to include 3rd year high school material

How is the SAT scored?
The SAT is score out of a total of 2400. Each section of the SAT (math, critical reading and writing) is scored on a scale of 200-800. If the SAT is written more than once, the highest math score, the highest verbal score and the highest writing score will be combined to create the highest overall score.
What is the average score on the SAT?
For students entering college in 2003, the average reading score is 508 and the average math score is 518. Because the writing section is new there are no reliable average numbers for comparison.
Will the NCAA be using the writing section to determine NCAA eligibility?
No. For the time being the NCAA will continue to use only the math and critical reading sections in determining NCAA eligibility – sections that correspond to the math and verbal sections of the previous version of the SAT. However, it is important to note that although the NCAA may not be using the writing section in determining eligibility member universities are free to use it in assessing student-athlete applicants.
When is the SAT offered?
In 2006 the SAT is offered Oct. 14, Nov. 4, and Dec. 2.
In 2007 the SAT is offered on Jan. 27, May 5, 2007, June 2, Oct. 6, Nov. 3, and Dec. 1.
In 2008 the SAT is offered on Jan. 26, May 3 and June 7.
It is important to register early as registration deadlines are approximately 5 weeks prior to the testing date.
Where is the SAT offered?
The SAT is offered at a number of locations throughout Canada and in all major cities. Visit
www.collegeboard.com to determine the nearest location.
How do I register for the SAT?
Go to www.collegeboard.com and follow the directions provided under the SAT tab
How many times can I write the SAT?
There is no limit to the number of times that a student can write the SAT, however only 6 scores will appear on the SAT score report.
How many times should I write the SAT?
You should write the SAT at least 2 times. Since the SAT is a very unique test, prior experience writing and studying for the test will help you perform better on subsequent attempts. Also, because you can combine your highest math, critical reading and writing sections from all tests the more tests that you write the more likely it is that you will perform better in one of these areas.
How do I study for the SAT?
The most effective way to prepare for the SAT is to purchase an SAT study guide available at most book stores. These study aids are extremely useful for learning how to write the test and in becoming familiar with the exam format and question types.
Can I write the SAT while attending university or college?
Yes, as long as you are not classified as a “full-time” student as per that institutions definition of “full time”. You must be classified as a “part-time” student.

D. SAT II: Subject Tests (SAT II)
What is the SAT II?
The SAT II’s are one-hour, mostly multiple-choice, individual tests that measure how much students know about a particular academic subject and how well they can apply that knowledge. Many colleges require or recommend one or more of the subject tests for admission and student-athletes will be advised as to whether they have to write them or not.
What subjects do SAT II’s cover?
The SAT II includes the following subjects:

  1. English Literature
  2. U.S. History
  3. World History
  4. Math Level 1
  5. Chinese with Listening
  6. French
  7. French with Listening
  8. German
  9. Math Level 2
  10. Biology
  11. Chemistry
  12. Physics
  13. German with Listening
  14. Spanish
  15. Spanish with Listening
  16. Modern Hebrew
  17. Italian
  18. Latin
  19. Japanese with Listening
  20. Korean with Listening

Which SAT II’s should I take?
Unless the university specifies which SAT II’s you must take, choose the tests based on your subject strengths and the amount of time since you studied that particular topic.
How are SAT II’s scored?
SAT II scores are reported on a scale from 200 to 800.
When should you take the SAT II’s?
Most students take the SAT II’s toward the end of grade 11 or at the beginning of grade 12. Take tests such as world history, biology, chemistry, or physics as soon as possible after completing the course in the subject, while the material is still fresh in your mind.
When are SAT II’s offered?
In 2006 the SAT II is offered Oct. 14, Nov. 4, and Dec. 2.
In 2007 the SAT II is offered on Jan. 27, May 5, 2007, June 2, Oct. 6, Nov. 3, and Dec. 1.
In 2008 the SAT II is offered on Jan. 26, May 3 and June 7.
As with the regular SAT it is important to register early as the registration deadlines are approximately 5 weeks prior to the testing date.
Where is the SAT II offered?
The SAT II is offered at the same locations as the regular SAT. Visit www.collegeboard.com to determine the nearest location.
How do I register for the SAT II’s?
Online: Go to www.collegeboard.com and follow the directions provided under the SAT tab
Mail: To register by mail, you need a Registration Bulletin which is available at your school counselor’s office. The Registration Form and return envelope are included in the Registration Bulletin. Your completed registration form must be returned in the envelope provided with proper payment. The Registration Bulletin contains test dates, registration deadlines, fees, instructions, test center codes, and other registration-related information.
How do I study for the SAT II’s?
Because the SAT II’s focus on specific subject areas The most effective way to prepare for specific SAT II subject tests is to study for similar high school courses and purchase SAT II study guides available at some book stores.
What’s the difference between the SAT and Subject Tests?
The SAT tests general aptitude in math and English where as the SAT II’s test knowledge in specific subject areas. The SAT is required to compete in the NCAA while the SAT II’s are required at the discretion of individual universities.

What is the ACT?
The ACT is (a) a set of four multiple-choice tests which cover English, mathematics, reading, and science, and (b) an optional writing section
What subjects does the ACT cover?
The ACT covers the following subjects:

  • English, 75 questions, 45 minutes
  • Math, 60 questions, 60 minutes
  • Reading, 40 questions, 35 minutes
  • Science, 40 questions, 35 minutes
  • Optional Writing Test, 1 question, 30 minutes

When and where is the ACT offered?
The ACT is offered a number of times throughout the year at the following locations (for dates and times visit http://www.actstudent.org/regist/outside.html):

How do I register for the ACT?
To register for the ACT got to www.act.org. All Canadian students will have to register by mail so download, complete and return the “registration packet.”

How do I study for the ACT?
The best preparation for the ACT is preparation for high school curriculum-courses in English, math, science, and social studies. For practice questions and tests go to http://www.act.org or purchase a study guides for the ACT from a book store.

How is the ACT scored?
Both the combined score (overall score) and each test score (English, math, reading, science) range from 1 (low) to 36 (high). The combined score is the average of your four test scores, rounded to the nearest whole number.

Which scores are reported if I test more than once?
There is a separate record for each test and only test scores that are requested are released to universities. Unlike the SAT, you may not select test scores from different test dates to construct a new record; you must designate an entire test date record as it stands. ACT does not create new records by averaging scores from different test dates.
What is the difference between the ACT and SAT?
The ACT is an achievement test, measuring what a student has learned in school. The SAT is more of an aptitude test, testing reasoning and verbal abilities. The ACT has up to 5 components: English, Mathematics, Reading, Science, and an optional Writing Test. The SAT has only 3 components: verbal, math, and a writing test. Math makes up 50% of SAT’s test score and only 25% of ACT’s test score.
Who should take the SAT and who should take the ACT?
Students who have recently graduated or are near graduation may perform better on the ACT as it focuses on specific subject areas studied in high school. Students who have been out of high school for a year or more may perform better on the SAT as it tests for general reasoning and aptitude.

A. Amateurism
What is amateurism?
In order to compete in the NCAA student-athletes must be classified as “amateurs” by the NCAA. To remain an “amateur” you cannot compete or sign a contract with a professional team, accept money or gifts for athletic ability retain the services of an agent, or receive money for educational expenses based on athletic ability.
How many years of athletic eligibility do I have to compete in NCAA athletics?
You have four (4) years of athletic eligibility in the NCAA.
B. Major Junior (WHL, OHL, QMJHL)
Can I play games in major junior and still be eligible to compete in the NCAA?
The NCAA considers major junior hockey to be professional hockey. Therefore student-athletes who compete in Major Junior jeopardize some or all of their NCAA athletic eligibility because they fail to remain “amateurs” as per NCAA regulations.

Student-athletes will lose all athletic eligibility to compete in NCAA Division I hockey if they:

  • compete in any major junior game after their expected date of high school graduation, or
  • sign a contract (“WHL Player Agreement”) with a major junior team Student athletes will lose some athletic eligibility to compete in NCAA Division I hockey if they:
  • compete in any major junior game before their expected date of high school graduation, without signing a contract, or
  • attend a major junior training camp for more than 48 hours while having their expenses covered by the major junior team

The only scenario in what a player can compete in major junior and still retain NCAA athletic eligibility is if he plays an exhibition game before graduating from high school without ever having signed a player agreement. Any other competition in major junior will lead to the loss of all NCAA athletic eligibility.

Can I tryout for teams in major junior and still be eligible to compete in the NCAA?
Before enrollment in a NCAA university an athlete can:

  • Tryout for any length of time with a professional or major junior hockey team at your own expense.
  • Receive one expense paid tryout with a professional or major junior team as long as it does not exceed 48 hours.
    (Note: You can only receive 1 expenses paid tryout from each team.)

Note that during a tryout, an individual loses NCAA athletic eligibility if he takes part in any outside
competition as a representative of that major junior team (games, scrimmages, 3-on-3 tournaments, etc.).
Does the major junior rule apply to Division II and III?
Although the rule varies slightly between divisions, competition at the major junior level may jeopardize eligibility to compete in all NCAA divisions. For more specific information concerning how the rule is applied to Division II and III visit http://www.ncaa.org.

C. 21-Year Old Rule
What happens if I turn 21 years old during the junior hockey season?
If you play a junior hockey game after your 21st birthday you will lose 1 year of NCAA athletic eligibility leaving you with 3 years remaining.
Does this rule apply to Division II and III?
No. This rule applies only to Division I.
How can I turn 21 years old, continue playing junior hockey and still retain NCAA eligibility?
Using the NCAA “transfer rules” you can continue playing junior hockey after your 21st birthday and retain 4 years of athletic eligibility if, prior to competing after your 21st birthday, you enroll full-time at a college institution that does not sponsor a hockey program. Although you will lose some of your 5-year academic eligibility you will not lose any of your 4-year athletic eligibility.
When should I enroll full-time if I want to continue playing junior hockey after my 21st birthday?
In order to avoid the hassle of registration when the hockey season is busy, you should enroll full-time in September. Also, in order to avoid difficulties with the NCAA Clearinghouse, you should register with the Clearinghouse before enrolling full-time. It is important to note that once you enroll “full-time” in college or university you can no longer write the SAT.
Does the rule apply to Division II and III?
No. The 21-year old rule applies only to student-athletes wishing to compete in Division I. It does not apply to those student-athletes wishing to compete in Division II and III.

A. Promoting
What do university coaches look for when they recruit student-athletes?
In making decisions on prospective players universities will consider the entire profile of the student athlete. That profile includes academic qualities such as high school marks, SAT or ACT scores, as well as athletic and personal qualities such as skill, attitude, and work ethic. What qualities are most important depends on the needs of the individual university and hockey program.
How do I best promote myself to NCAA hockey programs?
The most effective way to promote yourself is to develop a well rounded student-athlete profile. Start by taking and performing well in proper high school classes, studying for and achieving a high score on the SAT or ACT and working hard on developing as an athlete.
Can I contact NCAA hockey programs and coaches?
Yes. You can contact university and coaches at any point and there are no restrictions on the time or content of the contact.
Should I send a hockey resume to NCAA hockey programs to help promote myself?
Although sending a resume will not hurt your chances of getting a scholarship, its effectiveness is very limited. University hockey coaches are professional scouts and most programs employ a full-time recruiter. These recruiters spend many hours in arenas watching and interviewing student-athletes and are less inclined to read a student-athlete resume.

However, schools that do not have a lot of resources devoted to actively recruiting prospects, such as Division III and smaller Division I universities, are more open to student-athlete resumes. However, if you decide to send a student-athlete resume make sure that it is no longer than 1 page and includes only relevant information such as SAT, high school average and hockey statistics.

B. Recruiting Guidelines
When can universities start contacting and recruiting?
University hockey coaches can contact you or your parent’s once during the month of July after grade 10 and once in grade 11. After July 1 of the summer between grade 11 and grade 12 college coaches may contact you once a week throughout the year.

What is an “official visit” or “fly-down”?
An “official visit” or “fly-down” is a visit to a university campus paid for by the university or hockey program. Fly-downs are used by athletics programs to introduce you to the university and members of the team, give you a flavor for the campus and induce you to attend their university.

How many official visits can I make?
You can receive a maximum of 5 official visits but may only visit each campus once.

What are the rules concerning official visits?
In order to make an official visit you must have started classes in grade 12. Also, before a university can bring you to campus on a visit you must provide high school transcripts and a completed SAT or ACT score.Each official visit may last no longer than 48 hours and can cover food, entertainment, lodging and transportation.

Source:Alberta Junior Hockey League


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: